- A circular plate on a spear or lance designed to protect the hand.More example sentences
- The lance tends to slide backwards, and so a roundel is developed either ahead of the hand as a vamplate, or in front of the armpit as a ring or grapper.
- The edge of the central hole is pierced with three holes for the nails that attached the vamplates to a lance.
- We don't see lances with vamplates until the 14th century, so until that point, any spear is a potential lance as well.
Middle English: from Anglo-Norman French vauntplate, from avant 'before' + plate 'thin plate'. Compare with vambrace.
More definitions of vamplateDefinition of vamplate in:
- The US English dictionary