noun[mass noun] Medicine
1 technical term for chickenpox.
- Alternatively, the faculty might have contagious diseases, such as tuberculosis or varicella, and could infect patients.
- Pneumonia is a known complication of rubeola, varicella, and pertussis.
- First, you can make sure you are up to date on all vaccine-preventable diseases like measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella.
1.1 (also varicella zoster) A herpesvirus that causes chickenpox and shingles; herpes zoster.
- For example chickenpox and shingles are both caused by the same herpes virus - varicella zoster virus.
- Chickenpox is caused by the varicella zoster virus, and the main symptoms are a high fever and itchy red spots that blister and develop a crust.
- Later the virus, now known as the varicella zoster virus, was identified and isolated, and the researcher responsible received a Nobel prize.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: vari|cella
Definition of varicella in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.