Definition of varicella in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
1 technical term for chickenpox.
- Alternatively, the faculty might have contagious diseases, such as tuberculosis or varicella, and could infect patients.
- Pneumonia is a known complication of rubeola, varicella, and pertussis.
- First, you can make sure you are up to date on all vaccine-preventable diseases like measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella.
1.1 (also varicella zoster) A herpesvirus that causes chickenpox and shingles; herpes zoster.
- For example chickenpox and shingles are both caused by the same herpes virus - varicella zoster virus.
- Chickenpox is caused by the varicella zoster virus, and the main symptoms are a high fever and itchy red spots that blister and develop a crust.
- Later the virus, now known as the varicella zoster virus, was identified and isolated, and the researcher responsible received a Nobel prize.
Definition of varicella in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia