A decorative container without handles, typically made of glass or china and used as an ornament or for displaying cut flowers.
More example sentences
- These flowers in a glass vase can enhance the aesthetic appeal of one's living space.
- Large bowls and flower vases serve to spruce up the interiors with a bit of natural greenery and bright coloured blooms.
- The court was a homely little room, with flowers in vases and pot plants on desks rather than scales of justice and clanging doors.
late Middle English: from French, from Latin vas 'vessel'.
- More example sentences
- The last two days have been overcast and rainy, but on my kitchen table sits a vaseful of silk sunflowers.
- I have vasefuls of flowers ornamenting every room and making me look like the best little Martha Stewart ever.
- This is a workhorse of a rose, flowering early in the summer, and producing masses of blooms that keep my house supplied with vasefuls of flowers throughout the summer.