Definition of vast in English:
Of very great extent or quantity; immense: a vast plain full of orchards
More example sentences
- They have plenty of money and as a result they consume vast quantities of drink.
- In this day and age, there is no real need to take vast quantities of cash or even traveller's cheques with you.
- Water in the form of ice has been found in vast quantities just below the surface across large areas of Mars.
huge, extensive, expansive, broad, wide, boundless, immeasurable, limitless, infinite, enormous, gigantic, very big, very large, great, giant, massive, colossal, mammoth, immense, tremendous, mighty, stupendous, monumental, epic, prodigious, mountainous, monstrous, titanic, towering, elephantine, king-sized, king-size, gargantuan, Herculean, Brobdingnagian;
substantial, hefty, bulky, weighty, heavy, gross
informal mega, monster, whopping, whopping great, thumping, thumping great, humongous, jumbo, hulking, bumper, astronomical, astronomic
British informal whacking, whacking great, ginormous
nounarchaic Back to top
An immense space.
- And up from the vast a murmuring passed As from a wood of pines.
- Example sentences
- Yet, the nouveau riche are vastly outnumbered by a huge underclass of desperately poor people.
- It is a question of how to combat poverty, particularly in boroughs that are vastly overcrowded.
- There are vastly more important issues to which valuable parliamentary time should be dedicated.
- Example sentences
- And maybe after I have tried scuba diving, I will begin to miss the vastness and expanse of the deep blue sea.
- Without moving your eyes, concentrate on the vastness and depth of the open sky.
- From the air, as we approached, that rig looked extremely small and fragile in the vastness of the turbulent sea.
Late Middle English: from Latin vastus 'void, immense'.
Words that rhyme with vastaghast, avast, Belfast, blast, cast, caste, contrast, fast, last, mast, miscast, outlast, past, unsurpassed
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.