- Fine parchment made originally from the skin of a calf: [count noun]: we passed a shop offering fine parchments and even finer vellumsMore example sentences
- Before the advent of the printing press, books were made of vellum because it was durable.
- From what scholars have managed to read so far they believe it is an early Christian Psalter written on vellum, a parchment made from animal skin.
- Irish writings prior to the use of paper and print were written on vellum in a distinctive minuscule script which reflects 1,000 years of literary tradition.
late Middle English: from Old French velin, from veel (see veal).
More definitions of vellumDefinition of vellum in:
- The US English dictionary