- An edible whitefish found in lakes in northern Europe. In Britain it is now confined to two lakes in the English Lake District.
More example sentences
- Coregonus albula, family Salmonidae
- The lake is also home to a wide variety of fish, such as the rare vendace, roach, dace and pike.
- The aim of the by-laws is to protect populations of rare fish, including vendace, schelly and arctic charr, which live in Cumbria's lakes.
- In addition to filling up the lakes and making less room for vendace to live, when you get a storm and the wind churns the water around it deposits the silt on the beds where the fish are spawning and blankets them.
mid 18th century: from obsolete French vendese, from a base related to Welsh gwyn 'white'.