Definition of vendetta in English:
1A blood feud in which the family of a murdered person seeks vengeance on the murderer or the murderer’s family.
- Every family cultivates its vendetta; every clan, its feud.
- That deadly combination has let loose a wave of vengeance killings, tribal vendettas, mercenary kidnappings and thievery.
- To reveal the offense would mean dragging his family into an obligatory vendetta.
1.1A prolonged bitter quarrel with or campaign against someone: he has accused the British media of pursuing a vendetta against him
More example sentences
- There have been personal vendettas pursued that way, though they are rare.
- Too much space is devoted to accounts of Bajaj's family life and personal vendettas.
- Mr Obeid blamed a vendetta by two family members for the malicious stories circulating in the media.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan