- Regard with great respect; revere: Philip of Beverley was venerated as a saintMore example sentences
revere, reverence, respect, worship, adulate, hallow, deify, idolize, hold sacred, exalt, honour, esteem, look up to, think highly of, pay homage to, pay tribute to; adore, praise, extol, aggrandize, lionize, hold in awe, stand in awe of, marvel at, value• informal put on a pedestalhallowed, holy, sacred
- And everyone knows also that Sinn Féin, to the extent that it is separate from the IRA, not merely respects but venerates the military wing.
- Creation's magnificence leads us to such foundational religious concepts as respecting the stranger, venerating God, and so on.
- Big corporations tend to treat venerated logos with deep respect.
- More example sentences
- John Paul clearly thinks the reconsideration went too far, and his fellow venerators of Mary agree.
- The Holy Icons were being destroyed, and their venerators were being severely persecuted.
- Che's venerators, of course, occupy nearly the whole Island of Cuba and most of Latin America.
early 17th century (earlier (Middle English) as veneration): from Latin venerat- 'adored, revered', from the verb venerari.