Regard with great respect; revere: Philip of Beverley was venerated as a saint
More example sentences
- And everyone knows also that Sinn Féin, to the extent that it is separate from the IRA, not merely respects but venerates the military wing.
- Creation's magnificence leads us to such foundational religious concepts as respecting the stranger, venerating God, and so on.
- Big corporations tend to treat venerated logos with deep respect.
revere, reverence, respect, worship, adulate, hallow, deify, idolize, hold sacred, exalt, honour, esteem, look up to, think highly of, pay homage to, pay tribute to; adore, praise, extol, aggrandize, lionize, hold in awe, stand in awe of, marvel at, value
informal put on a pedestalhallowed, holy, sacred
early 17th century (earlier ( Middle English) as veneration): from Latin venerat- 'adored, revered', from the verb venerari.
- More example sentences
- John Paul clearly thinks the reconsideration went too far, and his fellow venerators of Mary agree.
- The Holy Icons were being destroyed, and their venerators were being severely persecuted.
- Che's venerators, of course, occupy nearly the whole Island of Cuba and most of Latin America.