Entry from US English dictionary
Definition of ventail in English:
1The lower movable front of a medieval helmet.
- When not at combat readiness, the mailed knight would unfasten his ventail, throw back his coif, and turn back his mittens.
- In one of the World Wars, some tank drivers wore mail ventails on their helmets for the same reason.
- Covering the mouth seems to have come in when the integral ventail was developed.
1.1The whole movable front of a medieval helmet, including the visor.
- The ventail is lined with deer skin, and fastens to the brow with a strap and a period-appropriate buckle.
- He maketh them take off their helmets and lower their ventails, and then kiss one another, afterward he leadeth them to his hermitage.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.