- A cup-shaped suction device applied to the baby’s head in childbirth, to assist the birth: [as modifier]: ventouse extractionMore example sentences
- The pregnancy was uneventful, but the baby was delivered by ventouse extraction owing to fetal tachycardia.
- A newborn boy delivered at full term by ventouse extraction had a widespread petechial rash and a cephalhaematoma.
- I can't remember exactly what she said after that, but the gist was that they were going to try and extract the baby using a ventouse.
1960s: from French, literally 'cupping-glass', based on Latin ventus 'wind'.
More definitions of ventouseDefinition of ventouse in:
- The US English dictionary