Definition of ventripotent in English:
1Having a large belly.
- His mind is obviously not of the finest fibre, nor his massive and ventripotent person either.
- The great man, with his cocked hat, his ventripotent waistcoat and spreading coat-tails, looked absurdly foreshortened and distorted, like a figure in a conjuring-glass.
- After a little, shaggy, ventripotent Pan will grow jealous, and ravish you away from me, as he stole Syrinx from her lover.
1.1Having a large appetite; gluttonous.
- The ventripotent vermin were in the midst of their meal, when "our fat friend" awoke.
- He was one of the most distinguished beer-drinkers in the Schwaben Corps, of which he had been elected, by acclaim, honorary member, after emptying a "Pope" on the challenge of one of the most ventripotent members.
- General Savage, an elderly gourmet, a ventripotent Apicins, an epicurian Heliogabalus, very cynical, and awfully churlish, thought that the pill, despite of its gilding, was too bitter to swallow
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.