Definition of ventripotent in English:
1Having a large belly.
- We see the insect, which was clear−sighted, become blind; it loses its feet, to recover them later; its slender body becomes ventripotent.
- A battalion of solid metaphysicians, reinforced by a tribe of tittering harridans and three companies of ventripotent buffoons, venture a daring sally.
- After a little, shaggy, ventripotent Pan will grow jealous, and ravish you away from me, as he stole Syrinx from her lover.
1.1Having a large appetite; gluttonous.
- He was a ventripotent Apicius, a real epicure; one who boasted that he never wasted his appetite on a joint.
- Never was seen such voracity since the days of the ventripotent Heliogabalus.
- General Savage, an elderly gourmet, a ventripotent Apicins, an epicurian Heliogabalus, very cynical, and awfully churlish, thought that the pill, despite of its gilding, was too bitter to swallow
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia