noun (plural Verdelhos)
1A white grape originally grown in Madeira, now also in Portugal, Sicily, Australia, and South Africa.
- In our analyses all the plants showed unique genetic profiles with the exception to the Verdelhos that showed the same genotype.
- The section between Valhelhas and Verdelhos has sadly been decimated by a recent forest fire.
- Sercial and Verdelho are the two grapes associated with Madeira's dry style.
1.1 [mass noun] A medium Madeira made from the Verdelho grape.
- The white Sercial, Verdelho, Bual, and Malvasia varieties which are classified as ‘noble’ by the ruling Madeira Wine Institute are in short supply.
- Most Australian Verdelhos are best consumed within two years of vintage.
- Margan Verdelho was honoured as the third best Australian Verdelho in the AGT Wine Magazines Top 20 Verdelhos, 2002.
Definition of Verdelho in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.