A small songbird with a grey body and yellowish head, found in the semi-deserts of south-western North America.
- Auriparus flaviceps, family Remizidae
More example sentences
- It was the head of a verdin, an extreme southwestern species that hops around in the trees, searching for insects to eat.
- Hummingbirds and verdins sip nectar from flowers in late spring and summer; several birds and rodents eat the seeds in late summer and fall.
- The verdins have been doing their best to hover at the feeding holes.
late 19th century: from French, literally 'yellowhammer'.
More definitions of verdinDefinition of verdin in:
- The US English dictionary