1 Physiology The simultaneous movement of the pupils of the eyes towards or away from one another during focusing.
- In doing so, they perform saccadic movements, smooth pursuit movements, vergence movements, vestibular movements, and accommodation.
- Pure vergence movements, uncontaminated by saccades, occur when changing gaze between two targets, both lying straight ahead, but at different distances.
2 Geology The direction in which a fold is inclined or overturned: a zone of opposing fold vergence
More example sentences
- Fold and cleavage vergence varies across the domain, from SE through neutral to NW, although a majority verge SE.
- Major and minor folds with clear vergence relationships change their sense around the Rhoscolyn Anticline.
- A foreland fold-thrust belt with a southwestward vergence formed south of the Mazar-Kangxiwar fault.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ver|gence
Definition of vergence in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.