Definition of verismo in English:
1Realism in the arts, especially late 19th-century Italian opera.
- The end of the book includes a short glossary of terms to help readers with certain concepts such as bel canto, leitmotif and verismo.
- First, most of them reject verismo and melodrama.
- Roberto Rizzi Brignoli is a pupil of verismo's late master, Gianandrea Gavazzeni.
1.1The verismo genre of opera, as composed principally by Puccini, Mascagni, and Leoncavallo: [as modifier]: a splendid verismo tenor
More example sentences
- These verismo pieces are more difficult than many people realise.
- The saving grace to the whole artistic endeavour is that the works are classic verismo operas with sky-high true-life grit.
- Essentially a lyric soprano with coloratura capabilities, she was at home in both Mozart and Richard Strauss, as well as in bel canto and verismo.
Words that rhyme with verismogizmo, gran turismo, machismo
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.