- A sour juice obtained from crab apples, unripe grapes, or other fruit, used in cooking and formerly in medicine.More example sentences
- This might be as simple as plain butter and verjuice (acid fruit juice, used as vinegar), or a thicker mixture of wine, egg yolks, butter, sugar, and flavourings.
- If using lemon juice, pomegranate molasses or verjuice instead of vinegar, use a slightly higher ratio of acidic component.
- Another use for caudles was as a filling for hot pies, usually with a mixture of wine or verjuice, egg yolks and butter.
Middle English: from Old French vertjus, from vert 'green' + jus 'juice'.
More definitions of verjuiceDefinition of verjuice in:
- The US English dictionary