(also verkramp /fɛːˈkramp/) South African
Conservative or reactionary, especially as regards apartheid: the gravest error he could make would be to halt his reform plans to win back verkrampte voters
More example sentences
- Most people, from verkrampte Dutch to conservative Muslims, are sorry van Gogh got killed and don't want this to continue.
- In the South African context of political reconciliation, the verkrampte protestation by Jubilee 2000 is just a smoke screen devoid of meaning.
A person holding bigoted and reactionary views.
- The founding of the party was preceded by a bitter power struggle between the verkramptes and the verligtes in the Afrikaner community.
- Social change and political challenges divided Afrikaner verligtes (the enlightened) from verkramptes (cramped conservatives).
- He was a verkrampte but there were times when he shed tears at the facts - and the faces - we brought to his attention.
Afrikaans, literally 'narrow, cramped'.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: ver|krampte
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.