(also verkramp /fɛːˈkramp/) South African
Conservative or reactionary, especially as regards apartheid: the gravest error he could make would be to halt his reform plans to win back verkrampte voters
More example sentences
- Most people, from verkrampte Dutch to conservative Muslims, are sorry van Gogh got killed and don't want this to continue.
- In the South African context of political reconciliation, the verkrampte protestation by Jubilee 2000 is just a smoke screen devoid of meaning.
A person holding bigoted and reactionary views.
- The founding of the party was preceded by a bitter power struggle between the verkramptes and the verligtes in the Afrikaner community.
- Social change and political challenges divided Afrikaner verligtes (the enlightened) from verkramptes (cramped conservatives).
- He was a verkrampte but there were times when he shed tears at the facts - and the faces - we brought to his attention.
Afrikaans, literally 'narrow, cramped'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.