- Progressive or enlightened, especially as regards apartheid: he was an Afrikaner of liberal inclinations and verligte viewsMore example sentences
- The Broederbond's reformist agenda had been confirmed by the election of de Lange, verligte author of the 1981 education report, as chairman in 1983.
- The message was relayed to me over a cup of tea in Parliament's members' lounge by FW's henchmen, both from not too verligte backgrounds.
nounBack to top
- A person holding progressive and enlightened views.More example sentences
- The founding of the party was preceded by a bitter power struggle between the verkramptes and the verligtes in the Afrikaner community.
- The Afrikaans lobby groups are immensely varied and powerful - from radical, right-wing campaigners to verligte, non-racial fighters.
Afrikaans, literally 'enlightened'.