- 1A brilliant red pigment made from mercury sulphide (cinnabar).More example sentences
- The two paint boxes were found to contain Prussian blue, chrome yellow, vermilion (a red mercury sulfide pigment), and red earth.
- Keune and supervisor Jaap Boon investigated the red pigment vermilion from the Rubens painting.
- Raman spectroscopy is used to identify certain pigments, such as vermilion and red lead, that are not detectable with FTIR.
- 1.1A brilliant red colour: a lateral stripe of vermilion [as modifier]: vermilion streaks of sunsetMore example sentences
- The sun was tediously ebbing into the horizon, staining the otherwise violet sky with brilliant streaks of orange and vermilion.
- Among the plants that have lovely vermillion hues to go with this season are the dwarf coral tree and the African flame tree.
- Rich hues of madder red, vermilion, saffron, and black are used in myriad combinations of stripes and checks.
Middle English: from Old French vermeillon, from vermeil, from Latin vermiculus, diminutive of vermis 'worm'.
More definitions of vermilionDefinition of vermilion in:
- The US English dictionary