Definition of vernalization in English:
The cooling of seed during germination in order to accelerate flowering when it is planted.
- This experiment was repeated in part during 2000-2001: 15 plants received zero hours of vernalization and 15 full vernalization.
- Chilling prevents flower initiation in Fragaria, rather than accelerating it as vernalization does in winter annuals.
- Indeed, with the montane population, even 10 weeks vernalization of seeds did not result in 100% flowering.
1930s: translation of Russian yarovizatsiya.
- Example sentences
- Growers should be able to tell if the wheat has vernalized by May 21.
- Most plants bought in spring have been vernalized (gone through a winter dormancy) and will establish easily.
- Plants from winter-type cultivars were first vernalized and then kept in the greenhouse.
Pronunciation: /ˈvəːn(ə)lʌɪz/(also vernalise) verb
Definition of vernalization in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia