The cooling of seed during germination in order to accelerate flowering when it is planted.
- This experiment was repeated in part during 2000-2001: 15 plants received zero hours of vernalization and 15 full vernalization.
- Chilling prevents flower initiation in Fragaria, rather than accelerating it as vernalization does in winter annuals.
- Indeed, with the montane population, even 10 weeks vernalization of seeds did not result in 100% flowering.
(also vernalise) verb
- Example sentences
- Growers should be able to tell if the wheat has vernalized by May 21.
- Most plants bought in spring have been vernalized (gone through a winter dormancy) and will establish easily.
- Plants from winter-type cultivars were first vernalized and then kept in the greenhouse.
1930s: translation of Russian yarovizatsiya.
Definition of vernalization in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.