- A small movable graduated scale for obtaining fractional parts of subdivisions on a fixed main scale of a barometer, sextant, or other measuring instrument.More example sentences
- Root diameters at these positions along the roots were then measured using a vernier microscope.
- He designed a simple device similar to that of the modern vernier for increase in the accuracy of measuring lengths.
- The apprentice class of 1995-1999 were presented with inscribed verniers and their certificates to mark their graduation.
mid 18th century: named after Pierre Vernier (1580–1637), French mathematician.
More definitions of vernierDefinition of vernier in:
- The US English dictionary