Definition of vertebrate in English:
An animal of a large group distinguished by the possession of a backbone or spinal column, including mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fishes. Compare with invertebrate.
- For that reason the earliest terrestrial vertebrates did not come equipped with an occiput, as we understand the term.
- No one had unambiguously located such genes in animals more primitive than the jawed vertebrates.
- Their presence suggests the feature appeared in a common ancestor of jawed vertebrates, or gnathostomes.
adjectiveBack to top
Denoting a vertebrate or relating to the vertebrates as a group.
- Indeed, during this time most of the various invertebrate and vertebrate phyla evolved.
- In addition to abundant crinoids, a diverse invertebrate and vertebrate fauna is contained within the Muldraugh.
- In tropical rainforests, the majority of woody plant species disperse seeds via vertebrate frugivores.
Definition of vertebrate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.