- A very large marine worm which lives in upright tubes near hydrothermal vents, subsisting on the products of chemoautotrophic bacteria.
More example sentences
- Order Vestimentifera, phylum Pogonophora; sometimes regarded as a separate phylum
- One of the most conspicuous groups of animals living in deep-sea chemosynthetic communities at hydrothermal vents are large vestimentiferan tube worms.
- The Figueroa vent assemblage is dominated numerically by vestimentiferan tube worms, as are all the other known fossil vent assemblages where ‘tube worm’ fossils can be confidently identified as vestimentiferans.
- Both Black et al. and Halanych et al. calibrated the divergence of these genes using a mammal molecular clock and suggested that the modern vestimentiferans originated less than 100 million years ago.
1980s: from modern Latin Vestimentifera (from Latin vestimentum 'clothing' + -fer 'bearing') + -an.
More definitions of vestimentiferanDefinition of vestimentiferan in:
- The US English dictionary