noun (plural vexilla /-lə/)
- 1(In ancient Rome) a military standard or banner, especially one of a maniple.More example sentences
- In 1855 (during the reign of King Rama IV; Mongkut) the white chakra was dropped and thus the vexillum was a red field with a white elephant in the centre.
- Only one example of vexilla has ever been found - the 3rd century example from Egypt.
- Many examples of the vexillum are represented in illuminated manuscripts.
- 2 Botany The standard of a papilionaceous flower.More example sentences
- During anthesis, the standard petal (vexillum) curves backward after the expansion of the wing petals.
Latin, from vehere 'carry'.
More definitions of vexillumDefinition of vexillum in:
- The US English dictionary