- Tomorrow we are travelling home via Harrogate where we will call to see Daisy's other sister Janet.
- The yacht will be taken to her destination via the Kiel Canal and a number of Baltic ports.
- If the Congress is to rule on its own strength in times to come it must travel via Uttar Pradesh.
- Around three out of every five mortgages are arranged via mortgage brokers.
- Most of the policies were sold via mortgage brokers who recommended the firm to house purchasers.
- If you're travelling via coach, then a refreshment hamper is packed into the hold.
- These should be no more than 850 words and should be sent electronically via our website.
- If the file is to large to send via email, you're left trying to find other ways to send it.
- Messages can also be sent via email by completing an online form here.
Late 18th century: from Latin, ablative of via 'way, road'.
The Latin word via meant ‘way, road’. It survives in the names of major Roman roads, such as Via Appia. The Christian Church also uses it in terms such as the Via Dolorosa, the route Jesus is believed to have taken to crucifixion and meaning ‘the painful path’. A deviation (Late Middle English) is literally a turning away from the path as is behaviour that is devious (late 16th century). Viaduct was formed from via in the early 19th century on the model of aqueduct ( see duct). An envoy (mid 17th century) is someone sent on their way, formed from French envoyé ‘sent’, while obvious (late 16th century) comes from Latin ob viam ‘in the way’.
Words that rhyme with viaacquire, admire, afire, applier, aspire, attire, ayah, backfire, barbwire, bemire, briar, buyer, byre, choir, conspire, crier, cryer, defier, denier, desire, dire, drier, dryer, dyer, enquire, entire, esquire, expire, fire, flyer, friar, fryer, Gaia, gyre, hellfire, hire, hiya, ire, Isaiah, jambalaya, Jeremiah, Josiah, Kintyre, latria, liar, lyre, Maia, Maya, Mayer, messiah, mire, misfire, Nehemiah, Obadiah, papaya, pariah, peripeteia, perspire, playa, Praia, prior, pyre, quire, replier, scryer, shire, shyer, sire, skyer, Sophia, spire, squire, supplier, Surabaya, suspire, tier, tire, transpire, trier, tumble-dryer, tyre, Uriah, wire, Zechariah, Zedekiah, Zephaniah
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: via
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.