Definition of vicar apostolic in English:
1A Roman Catholic missionary.
- This meant in practice that papal letters appointing vicars apostolic were not be acknowledged.
- This vicar apostolic would report to the office in Rome called the Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith.
- From 1688, despite the danger to the individuals appointed, Rome chose men of piety, integrity, sacrifice and learning to act as vicars apostolic to areas of Britain.
2A titular bishop.
- The Roman Catholic vicar apostolic for England equated Anglicanism with Donatism in a journal article.
- Named vicar apostolic of North Carolina and consecrated a bishop in 1868, he attended the First Vatican Council in 1869-1870.
- By the early 1590s it was accepted that a full hierarchy was impossible and a more ad hoc system of vicars apostolic adopted.
Definition of vicar apostolic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia