- 1.1 Chemistry Relating to or denoting substituents attached to adjacent atoms in a ring or chain.More example sentences
- The epoxide hydrolases are a family of enzymes that hydrate simple epoxide to vicinal diols and arene oxides to transdihydrodiols.
- The latter are also called vicinal diols, or 1,2-diols.
- The number of vicinal hydroxyl groups corresponds to the chemical and biological activity of the compound; thus kaempferol is often less active than quercetin and myricetin.
early 17th century: from French, or from Latin vicinalis, from vicinus 'neighbour'.
More definitions of vicinalDefinition of vicinal in:
- The US English dictionary