- However, such were the vicissitudes of English fortunes that the link with wealth was far more complex than King and Defoe appeared to recognize.
- Governments cannot protect citizens from all the circumstances and vicissitudes of life.
- Perhaps nothing can demonstrate the city's vicissitudes better than the changes of its landmarks.
- Example sentences
- A vicissitudinous branch of American art - itself oftentimes viewed throughout its history as globally marginal and mutable, according to Wanda M. Corn's critically important essay.
- In addition to offering our best insights into this vicissitudinous business over the past four-plus decades, we have tried to educate sports bettors to the realities and possibilities.
- That does not imply that it is less intensely felt than other emotions, but only that it is less vicissitudinous.
Early 17th century (in the sense 'alternation'): from French, or from Latin vicissitudo, from vicissim 'by turns', from vic- 'turn, change'.
Words that rhyme with vicissitudesolicitude
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: vi¦cis¦si|tude
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.