1A roll performed by an aircraft as a sign of triumph, typically after a successful mission.
- ‘I did a victory roll at the top,’ the 62-year-old Melvill joked from atop the spaceship after it glided safely to a landing.
- A replica of the first Bulgarian aircraft, the DAR - 1, from 1926, did a victory roll.
- Instead, he came in on the deck and pulled up in the frequently done victory roll over the runway, with anti-aircraft fire following him.
2A large curl of hair created by rolling a section back from the face and securing it to the top of the head, especially popular as a way of styling the hair in the 1940s: glamorous young women with victory rolls in their hair she’s often rocking a retro victory roll
More example sentences
- As war drew to a close, women adopted the victory Roll.
- Her hair is styled with a victory Roll.
- They wear gloves, hats, and sometimes wigs if they haven't had a chance to set their bright red hair into victory rolls or finger waves.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: vic|tory roll
Definition of victory roll in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.