Relating to Vietnam, its people, or their language.
- We were representing a Saturday morning Vietnamese language school.
- She also famously described US ambitions as ‘imperialist’ and advised Richard Nixon to read up on Vietnamese history.
- I, for one, have no idea whether this is appropriate in Vietnamese culture or not, nor what a bishop can and cannot permit in his own diocese.
noun (plural same)
1A native or inhabitant of Vietnam, or a person of Vietnamese descent.
- From the 1400s on, the Cambodians lost territory to both the Siamese and the Vietnamese.
- Thais and Vietnamese also came in large numbers and this is really where Asian Fusion cooking was born.
- They share their classrooms with Arabs, Africans and Vietnamese.
2 [mass noun] The language of Vietnam, spoken by about 60 million people. It probably belongs to the Mon-Khmer group, although much of its vocabulary is derived from Chinese.
- He speaks five languages, Vietnamese, French, Greek, Spanish and some other obscure language.
- This person may have married an Irish person but probably still thinks in and speaks Vietnamese.
- In addition, Cambodians have borrowed words from Thai, French, Chinese, and Vietnamese.
Words that rhyme with VietnameseAchinese, Ambonese, appease, Assamese, Balinese, Belize, Beninese, Bernese, bêtise, Bhutanese, breeze, Burmese, Cantonese, Castries, cerise, cheese, chemise, Chinese, Cingalese, Cleese, Congolese, Denise, Dodecanese, ease, éminence grise, expertise, Faroese, freeze, Fries, frieze, Gabonese, Genoese, Goanese, Guyanese, he's, Japanese, Javanese, jeez, journalese, Kanarese, Keys, Lebanese, lees, legalese, Louise, Macanese, Madurese, Maltese, marquise, Milanese, Nepalese, officialese, overseas, pease, Pekinese, Peloponnese, Piedmontese, please, Portuguese, Pyrenees, reprise, Rwandese, seise, seize, Senegalese, she's, Siamese, Sienese, Sikkimese, Sinhalese, sleaze, sneeze, squeeze, Stockton-on-Tees, Sudanese, Sundanese, Surinamese, Tabriz, Taiwanese, tease, Tees, telegraphese, these, Timorese, Togolese, trapeze, valise, Viennese, vocalese, wheeze
Definition of Vietnamese in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.