A member of a self-appointed group of citizens who undertake law enforcement in their community without legal authority, typically because the legal agencies are thought to be inadequate.
More example sentences
- A community of spam vigilantes constantly is improving free programs such as SpamAssassin.
- Health authorities or even vigilantes ought to have shut it down years ago.
- The thugs, vigilantes and enforcers have to end their activities - and be seen to do so.
mid 19th century: from Spanish, literally 'vigilant'.
- More example sentences
- Your articles were not about crime, security threats, handgun safety, drive-by shootings or vigilantism, all of which came to mind when I looked at your disturbing cover image.
- In no way do we want people interpreting this as supporting vigilantism, but we do want the public to shun dealers.
- But in terms of vigilantism, where somebody goes out and takes the law into their hands beyond just reporting false information to law enforcement, we haven't seen that.