- 1Strong, healthy, and full of energy: a tall, vigorous, and muscular manMore example sentences
robust, healthy, in good health, hale and hearty, strong, strong as an ox/horse/lion, sturdy, fine, fit, in good condition, in tip-top condition, in good shape, in good trim, in good kilter; hardy, tough, athletic, strapping, able-bodied; bouncing, thriving, flourishing, blooming; energetic, lively, active, spry, sprightly, perky, playful, jaunty, vivacious, animated, spirited, high-spirited, dynamic, vibrant, full of life, vital, sparkling, effervescent, zestful, buoyant, tireless, indefatigable• informal go-getting, zippy, peppy, bouncy, upbeat, full of vim, full of beans, raring to go, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, in the pink, fit as a fiddleNorthern English • informal wickNorth American • informal chipper
- And the pope, we're told, kept up his full, vigorous schedule this Christmas Eve, despite his frail health.
- Be vigorous and full of energy, and make ceaseless efforts.
- After a healthy life, this vigorous, energetic, dynamic man was gone at age 59.
- 1.1Characterized by or involving physical strength, effort, or energy: vigorous aerobic exerciseMore example sentences
- Trying to sweat out a cold and fever with vigorous physical exercise is a really bad idea.
- Unfortunately this lack of vigorous physical exercise has resulted in an increase of various illnesses.
- The hunger I felt was the kind you could only get after using up large amounts of energy on vigorous physical activity.
- 1.2(Of language) forceful: a vigorous denialMore example sentences
strenuous, powerful, potent, forceful, forcible, spirited, mettlesome, determined, resolute, aggressive, eager, keen, active, enthusiastic, zealous, ardent, fervent, vehement, intense, intensive, passionate, fiery, wild, unrestrained, uncontrolled, unbridled; tough, blunt, hard-hitting, pulling no punches
- It's a vigorous language, by turns colloquial and formal, precise, even-toned, elegant, sly, ironic, subtle and funny.
- Certainly, despite vigorous denials, there was tension between the two during filming.
- She shook her head in vigorous denial, and Angel and Doyle both glanced at her.
- More example sentences
- One of them would comment on the vigorousness of the newly sprouted fields, and another would off-handedly mention the healthy appearance of a newly purchased servant.
- What level of vigorousness do you feel leads to the most effective learning in your aikido training?
- This video shows the vigorousness of Lingnan students
Middle English: via Old French from medieval Latin vigorosus, from Latin vigor (see vigour).