Definition of villa in English:
1(Especially in continental Europe) a large and luxurious country house in its own grounds.
- Several hours surfing later and Paul had located a luxurious villa, not quite in Japan, but just an hour's time difference away.
- They made fun of the capitalist system while the élite lived in these luxurious villas and ate the best.
- Developers have taken leases on the Grenadines for centuries; it is just that they planted Mustique with luxurious villas rather than with the cotton or sugar of times past.
1.1British A detached or semi-detached house in a residential district, typically one that is Victorian or Edwardian in style: [in place names]: Madison Villas
More example sentences
- Then it is the grand Edwardian houses, Victorian villas, Regency and Georgian buildings, all culminating at one of the medieval city gates or bars.
- This is a Victorian villa style residence with two self contained garden apartments to the rear.
- The proposed site will house 900 residents in converted student accommodation, terraced houses and semi-detached villas spread out across newly landscaped gardens.
1.2British A rented holiday home abroad.
- During spring and summer, villas in Europe will be very popular, says Stuart Douglas-Lee of Abercrombie & Kent.
- A plethora of restaurants, hotels, villas and resorts are located in Ubud and cooking classes are available to tourists.
- If you really want to stay in grand style, or if you are travelling with a gaggle of friends or family members, rent one of the privately owned Spanish-style villas within the hotel grounds.
2A large country house of Roman times, having an estate and consisting of farm and residential buildings arranged around a courtyard.
- It was one of the latest finds at a site that had been a Roman villa estate, and previously a middle and late Iron Age farmstead.
- In written Roman sources a villa is usually the seaside or country estate of a wealthy member of the urban elite.
- Roman entertainment, like Roman roads, Roman baths, Roman villas etc, is etched in people's minds today as a result of recent films.