- An instrument of the violin family, larger than the violin and tuned a fifth lower.More example sentences
- Among the strings, there are twelve violins, two violas, four cellos, and two double basses.
- The Octet is scored for flute, clarinet, French horn, violin, viola, cello, double bass, and piano.
- It is an all-string orchestra - violins, violas, cellos and double bass - based in Castlebar, but including players from around the county.
early 18th century: from Italian and Spanish; compare with viol.
- A plant of a genus that includes the pansies and violets.
More example sentences
- Genus Viola, family Violaceae: many species
- It may be a little early to start summer annuals, but pansies, violas, snapdragons, calendulas and more will go strong until June or even later if planted anew now.
- Many flowers like bachelor's buttons, violas, calendula, pansies, & roses are edible as well as beautiful.
- I plant pansies and violas, too, for color now and again in spring.
modern Latin, from Latin, literally 'violet'.