- A tropical American hummingbird with green or brown plumage and a glittering purple patch behind each eye.
More example sentences
- Genus Colibri, family Trochilidae: four species
- While some species of hummingbirds are known to sing - and Anna's, green violet-ear, and sparkling violet-ear hummingbirds appear to learn - we found that very little had been written about the sounds of blue-throated hummingbirds.
- According to reports, male sparkling violet-ears were seen twice caring for their young.
- This is the largest hummer at the feeders, and it's easily recognized as a violet-ear by its bluish-green color and blue-violet ears.