(also violet sea snail)
- A small marine snail which drifts on the surface of the sea attached to a raft of bubbles. The shell is typically purple-violet and the animal emits a violet fluid when attacked.
More example sentences
- Family Janthinidae, class Gastropoda
- Specimens of the violet sea snail whose habitat is the Atlantic have been picked up at Bundoran.
- Following Key Largo is the group of islands known as Islamorada, or ‘purple islands,’ named by the Spanish for their violet sea snails and purple bougainvillea.
- The ocean looks clear and the number of bluebottles, violet snails and other surface life indicates some clear oceanic water of 20°-plus has blown in close to the coast.