noun (plural same or viperfishes)
A small, elongated deep-sea fish that has large jaws with long protruding fangs.
- Family Chauliodontidae: several genera and species
More example sentences
- Sloane's viperfish are not known to be sexually dimorphic since the specimens caught are rarely sexed.
- The viperfish is thought to use its sharp teeth to impale its victims by swimming at them at high speeds.
- The viperfish may be expected on the offshore banks as a stray at any time, for several have been taken off the continental slope abreast of southern New England in deep water.
More definitions of viperfishDefinition of viperfish in:
- The US English dictionary