- 1(Of a man) having strength, energy, and a strong sex drive: he was a powerful, virile manMore example sentences
manly, masculine, male, all-male; gallant, chivalrous, swashbuckling, valiant, valorous, courageous, brave, intrepid, fearless, stout-hearted, lionhearted, bold, heroic, daring; strong, tough, vigorous, robust, powerfully built, well made, well built, muscular, muscly, brawny, rugged, strapping, sturdy, hefty, husky, burly, solid, substantial; red-blooded, sexually potent, fertile, fecundNorth American • informal buffUS • informal jacked
- He deconstructs myths of the tough virile man, laying his anxieties bare on the floor.
- These guys all want to come home, have their necks rubbed, have their slippers handed to them, and be told what big, virile men they are.
- I must be very lucky person because every time I look at my e - mail someone wants to make me a millionaire, help me lose weight or become the world's most virile man.
- 1.1Having or characterized by strength and energy: a strong, virile performance of the MassMore example sentences
- Entrapment: ‘a subtle and surprisingly virile performance’.
- A wonderfully virile performance of a great work!
- Cummins is a vulnerable, angry, intense, virile and passionate performer, making a ‘raging bull’ appear human, sad, remorseful and honourable.
late 15th century (in the sense 'characteristic of a man'): from French viril or Latin virilis, from vir 'man'.