Definition of virtu in English:
2 literary The good qualities inherent in a person or thing.
- Even in a civil republic, leaders would emerge who had the quality of virtu, who could negotiate with fortune, and who understood political necessity.
- He singles out two essential methods of organizing home affairs in such a way as to instil the quality of virtu in the whole body of the citizens.
- Cavendish is appropriating Machiavellian virtu as a female as well as male quality.
article (or object) of virtu
- An article that is interesting because of its antiquity, beauty, quality of workmanship, etc.Example sentences
- Here he assembled a large but indifferent collection of objects of virtu, prints, and curiosities, several of which were purchased in Italy by Mann, which attracted fashionable attention.
- These may be divided into three sometimes overlapping categories: relics, souvenirs, and objects of (sometimes easy) virtu.
- The paintings hung in a small cabinet in which were also located a number of antiquities and objets de vertu, in a heterogeneous arrangement like that of a wonder collection.
Definition of virtu in:
- US English dictionary