1 [as submodifier] Nearly; almost: the disease destroyed virtually all the vineyards in Orange County the college became virtually bankrupt
More example sentences
- The building was virtually destroyed in the blaze, which broke out late on Saturday night.
- They headed out before the nightclub closed, which was virtually a first for Mac.
- Olive had found the meadow quite charming and had virtually claimed it as her own.
in effect, effectively, all but, more or less, practically, almost, nearly, close to, approaching, not far from, nearing, verging on, bordering on, well nigh, nigh on, just about, as good as, essentially, in essence, in practical terms, for all practical purposes, to all intents and purposes, in all but name, as near as dammit;
roughly, approximately, not quite;
South African plus-minus
informal pretty much, pretty nearly, pretty well
2By means of virtual reality techniques.
- On the other, the community is only virtually there, and disappears with the flick of a button.
2.1By means of a computer; computationally.
- Pretty much any control button found on a handheld console can be imitated virtually on screen.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: vir¦tu|al¦ly
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.