- A large South American burrowing rodent of the chinchilla family, sometimes hunted for its fur and flesh.
More example sentences
- Genera Lagidium and Lagostomus, family Chinchillidae: four species
- Chinchillas and mountain viscachas live in mountainous, rocky areas, where they move over and through the rocks with great agility.
- At the time, the nearest known relative of the plains viscacha rat was another viscacha rat, Octomys mimax, with fifty-six chromosomes.
- After our work with the plains viscacha rat, I became convinced that the vast salt flats scattered throughout the deserts and arid thorn forests of northern Argentina could harbor other salt-pan specialists.
early 17th century: via Spanish from Quechua (h)uiscacha.
More definitions of viscachaDefinition of viscacha in:
- The US English dictionary