Definition of viscoelasticity in English:
noun[mass noun] Physics
The property of a substance of exhibiting both elastic and viscous behaviour, the application of stress causing temporary deformation if the stress is quickly removed but permanent deformation if it is maintained.
- Indeed, several contributions have investigated the potential of phase imaging to detect variations in material properties such as adhesion, elasticity, and viscoelasticity, or to image samples with large vertical dimensions.
- However, little is known about how these attributes vary with temperature, pressure and shear rate because these measurements are difficult to make for commercial lubricants that have weak viscoelasticity.
- In comparison with rheological and theoretical studies on viscoelasticity of actin gels, the properties of orientational ordering of actin have been less studied, both theoretically and experimentally.
- Example sentences
- The viscous component in the viscoelastic behavior can be determined by assessing the amount of hysteresis during relaxation after mechanical deformation.
- Rheometers can also be used to measure viscoelastic properties as well as viscosities.
- To understand what makes cells simultaneously stiff and oozy - or viscoelastic - biophysicists have mostly relied on large-scale measurements.
Definition of viscoelasticity in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan