- 1Thinking about or planning the future with imagination or wisdom: a visionary leaderMore example sentences
inspired, imaginative, creative, inventive, insightful, ingenious, enterprising, innovative, perceptive, intuitive, far-sighted, prescient, discerning, penetrating, sharp, shrewd, wise, clever, talented, gifted, resourceful; idealistic, idealized, utopian, romantic, quixotic, impractical, unrealistic, unworkable, unfeasible, out of touch with reality, fairy-tale, fanciful, dreamy, ivory-towered, theoretical, hypothetical• informal starry-eyed, head-in-the-clouds
- The film is based around Isaac Asimov's visionary stories about future technology where robots are an integral part of our daily lives.
- I marvelled at the imaginative energy of the Martian enterprise, at its visionary and dogged inventiveness.
- He hopes to see the gains achieved by the U.S. civil rights movement, and maybe even a vision of ideal universal equality, reflected in the visionary future of the Federation.
- 1.1 • archaic (Of a scheme or idea) not practical.More example sentences
- The book ends with an assault by the mob on Mr Chainmail's 12th-cent. castle, an ironic comment on the more visionary schemes to solve the troubles of the age of reform.
- ‘These hypothetical, visionary schemes will only act to deter tenants from investing in their businesses,’ he said.
- 2Relating to or having the ability to see visions in a dream or trance, or as a supernatural apparition: visionary dreamsMore example sentences
- Somewhere between 432 and 460 a second visionary dream, in which the Irish people beseeched him to return, ignited his missionary zeal.
- Astrobiology, the search for life's origins and its existence elsewhere in the universe, used to seem like a visionary dream.
- Hiller's art deals with the transcendental and the visionary, with dreams, trances, hallucinations and altered states of consciousness.
noun (plural visionaries)Back to top
- A person with original ideas about what the future will or could be like: he is a visionary keen on policy-makingMore example sentences
- The website boasts that ‘Freeness is the now, and tomorrow for future music visionaries.’
- She's written a book about space tourism, and talked to many of the visionaries behind the whole idea.
- We need more such hands-on visionaries for the future of York if we are to create and maintain a competitive position on the world stage.
- More example sentences
- But this was not enough for him; he is a visionary painter, and in his visionariness he resembles Dante.
- Better to look elsewhere - for instance, at the tourism sector and the degree of cultural visionariness to be found there.
- America experienced a dark conservative revival - people turned cynical, selfish, and misanthropic as visionariness turned to graspingness.