- A purplish-red light-sensitive pigment present in the retinas of humans and many other animal groups.More example sentences
- In 1877, Boll and Kuhne independently published their classical studies on visual purple, the photoreceptor pigment of rods, and established that it was involved in the detection of light.
- The photoreceptor of rod cells is specifically called rhodopsin or visual purple.
- It is the reddish purple color of retinal that gives rhodopsin its former name visual purple.
More definitions of visual purpleDefinition of visual purple in:
- The US English dictionary