- Any of a group of organic compounds which are essential for normal growth and nutrition and are required in small quantities in the diet because they cannot be synthesized by the body: most people can get all the vitamins they need from a healthy diet [as modifier]: vitamin deficiencyMore example sentences
- Not so long ago, most people would not have had an ideal regular intake of vitamin C, a vitamin the human body cannot synthesize.
- This is due to a lack of thiamine, a vitamin that is essential for the mechanisms by which energy is released from foodstuffs.
- Other genes, to make the plant synthesise essential amino acids and vitamins, can also be added.
early 20th century: from Latin vita 'life' + amine, because vitamins were originally thought to contain an amino acid.
More definitions of vitaminDefinition of vitamin in:
- The US English dictionary