Definition of viticulture in English:
1The cultivation of grapevines.
- Those on the flatter inner edge are frequently planted in land more suited to agriculture than to viticulture.
- The concepts of winemaking, viticulture, varietals and everything surrounding wine production in the Chianti Classico zone have been reborn.
- Agriculture includes livestock-rearing, viticulture, and crops such as cereals, sugar beet, and potatoes.
1.1The study of grape cultivation.
- Only when he was 36 did he decide to study viticulture and oenology in more detail, in Paris.
- Early on, Shari went back to school to study viticulture and enology at the University of California, Davis.
- Maybe you just have to get a book on viticulture to keep your grapes from going bad.
- Example sentences
- Winemaking technology and viticultural science have advanced to such a degree that talented winemakers can sometimes turn out fairly delicious wines even when nature is working against them.
- When their viticultural efforts didn't meet with much success in the semi-arid Mexican terrain where agave thrives, the Europeans decided to compromise.
- Most of the region's winemakers arrived here when it was still a viticultural frontier.
- Example sentences
- It is grown in every wine region, bending as much to the wills of the viticulturists and wine-makers as to the influence of climate and terroir.
- A fickle grape, it can disappoint the best viticulturists and wine makers, but - teeth gritted - they try again and again, blaming the wrong vineyard site, the wrong clone, wrong trellising, and so on.
- To do this he went to France and recruited the best viticulturists, winemakers and architects for his new project.
Definition of viticulture in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan