noun (plural vivaria /-rɪə/)
- An enclosure, container, or structure adapted or prepared for keeping animals under semi-natural conditions for observation or study or as pets; an aquarium or terrarium.More example sentences
- Because there was no temperature control in the vivarium the animal would have suffered distress as its body heat decreased.
- In most research settings, observers sit in the dark watching an illuminated vivarium, peer through gauzy curtains, or observe by means of remote video surveillance.
- Each individual, in its own compartment of a large vivarium behaves like a dominant, selecting high perches and courting when a female is introduced.
early 17th century: from Latin, literally 'warren, fish pond', from vivus 'living', from vivere 'to live'.
More definitions of vivariumDefinition of vivarium in:
- The US English dictionary