Definition of vixen in English:
1A female fox.
- Gibbons says the females, or vixens, have a disturbing habit of making bloodcurdling screams in winter.
- As the vixen's oestrus draws to a close, the dog fox stops guarding her and changes his behaviour dramatically, rapidly expanding into the neighbouring territories.
- Now the vixen snapped at the dog's heels, so he turned on her and found himself harried again by her brother.
1.1 informal A spirited or quarrelsome woman: the outrageous little shaven-headed vixen from Domino’s Pizza
More example sentences
- He uses examples from a biblical hall of fame of female villains and vixens - Delilah is one - to warn women not to engage in various forms of deceit or trickery to land, or keep, a man.
late Middle English fixen, perhaps from the Old English adjective fyxen 'of a fox'. The v- is from the form of the word in southern English dialect.
- Example sentences
- It's not strong enough to be strident nor tender enough to be vixenish.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan