Definition of vixen in English:
1A female fox.
- Gibbons says the females, or vixens, have a disturbing habit of making bloodcurdling screams in winter.
- As the vixen's oestrus draws to a close, the dog fox stops guarding her and changes his behaviour dramatically, rapidly expanding into the neighbouring territories.
- Now the vixen snapped at the dog's heels, so he turned on her and found himself harried again by her brother.
1.1 informal A spirited or quarrelsome woman: the outrageous little shaven-headed vixen from Domino’s Pizza
More example sentences
- He uses examples from a biblical hall of fame of female villains and vixens - Delilah is one - to warn women not to engage in various forms of deceit or trickery to land, or keep, a man.
late Middle English fixen, perhaps from the Old English adjective fyxen 'of a fox'. The v- is from the form of the word in southern English dialect.
- Example sentences
- It's not strong enough to be strident nor tender enough to be vixenish.