1Not able to speak or express opinions: millions of Americans feel voiceless and powerless to bring positive change to the political system
More example sentences
- He was born disabled and voiceless with a gaze permanently haunted by a look of terror.
- An operation for goitre has left her voiceless.
- Hardly any other Arab or Muslim characters appear, with the exception of extras playing voiceless villagers or servants.
2 Phonetics (Of a speech sound) uttered without resonance of the vocal cords (e.g. f, k, p, s, t).
- Neither Mandarin Chinese nor Tibetan distinguishes phonologically between voiced and voiceless obstruent initials, unlike Dzongkha and, for example, English.
- In English, /h/ is like a voiceless vowel in that there is no fricative-like narrowing in the mouth, so that the greatest point of narrowing is in the glottis.
- More generally, voiceless obstruents are more frequent in onset position than voiced obstruents.
- Example sentences
- And throughout all of this, Morgan, her Signature Officer, stood on the other side of the doorway, mouthing the phrase to her voicelessly over and over again.
- Earning my wages equates to obeying voicelessly, orders and commands hurled at me by a whole range of big - bellied higher ups.
- Example sentences
- Often the breeding ground is that of exclusion, of oppression, of poverty - a sense of voicelessness in the councils of the world and hopelessness for the future, fanned and exploited by the wilful misuse of religious faith and fervour.
- Like many foreign supporters of Cuban socialism who visit Cuba today, he recognizes the frustration that many Cubans feel over their voicelessness in a system that seems to respond to its people less and less.
- Still, I was bothered by the voicelessness that I was experiencing.
Definition of voiceless in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.