A small, typically burrowing, mouse-like rodent with a rounded muzzle, found in both Eurasia and North America.
- Subfamily Microtinae (or Arvicolinae), family Muridae: several genera, in particular Microtus, and numerous species
More example sentences
- Small mammals, especially rodents such as voles, pocket gophers, and mice make up most of the Great Gray Owl's diet.
- Investigators are coming closer to answering this question by studying voles, small rodents commonly known as field mice.
- Different levels of the receptor are thought to explain the very different behaviours of meadow voles and prairie voles.
early 19th century (originally vole-mouse): from Norwegian voll(mus) 'field (mouse)'.
Definition of vole in:
- The US English dictionary